12 Tags of Christmas - #1


Yep, you read it correctly. I am back to the beginning with Tag #1 from Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of Christmas. Of course, mine aren't exactly "tags" but that's the challenging and fun part.

Let's get right to it by checking out Tim's Tag #1...


As always, amazing. Remember, if you go to Tim's blog you'll see that he takes us step-by-step through each tag, explains the products he used, and even includes bonus projects and technique videos. When you go there, you'll have to click on the Tag 1 link on the right-hand column of his page.

Now here's my "tag"...


Lots of different things going on here because I unfortunately don't have all of Tim's awesome alterations dies (yet). Where Tim used his rickety house die, I opted to make do with what I had...



Yep, a cookie cutter. I was happy to already have Tim's "notebook" texture fade so I ran the grungeboard through my Big Shot, then traced and cut out the cabin.



I didn't go through the steps Tim did cutting out all those strips. I just textured it and cut it out then hand-cut some windows and a door. I saved the cut-out door and painted it a little darker, added an antique copper brad for a doorknob, and inked the edges.  For the cabin, I applied some Snow Cap white paint, distress inks, and also put a piece of tinted plastic behind the window.



I also did NOT have the "on the fence" on the edge die of Tim's, so I made my own from grungeboard. You'll notice I didn't bother with all the little cuts between the slats. Instead I simply cut one long piece that will lay behind the pickets. With some Snow Cap, then some ink distressing, it looks like a rickety picket fence. You can see this best in my photo of the entire tag above.



Tim's showed us his technique for created a custom, colorized ink pad from Cut & Dry Foam. (by the way, if you can find this stuff in the Central Florida area, please clue me in.) I didn't have access to this product, so I decided to paper piece instead. I stamped the ticket image three times. Black, red and green.



I cut out the 25 from the red, Merry Christmas from the green, and used the black stamped ticket as my base. I used Walnut Stain distress ink to give it that wonderful, worn vintage look. And see the glistening tree behind the ticket? That's from a Sizzix die. I cut out grungeboard, painted it white and while the paint was still wet, I sprinkled a ton of Prisma Glitter all over it.




My little wreathe was fashioned from a straight piece of wired pine from the local Dollar Tree. (Thanks for the tip, Lisa R.!) And see that "snow" on the cabin? It's this cool stuff called Liquid Applique which I got from Close To My Heart. You squeeze it out, let it set, heat it up and it puffs like crazy!



Here's a look at my tag again. Be sure to click on it to get an even closer look at the details. Thank you again for taking the time to stop by. I'm off to decorate our Christmas tree - finally!

Comments

  1. I can't believe you finally mentioned me in your blog! I think I went up a rung on the totem pole! WooHoo!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your pennent tags, they are beautifully done. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Annette....DiAnn ordered some Cut & Dry Foam on line and it should be here soon......Check with her to see were she got it. Can't wait until tomorrow for Tag 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like yours better, Annette. His was kinda spooky! Well done and thanks for sharing. I appreciate your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic ! I love how you're using the things you have to create a unique take on Tim's Tags.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com