Altered Assemblage Clock

Ever since I saw Tim Holtz introduce the Idea-ology assemblage clock earlier this year, I knew I had to have it. Had to do something to it. But what exactly? There are several YouTube videos and pins out there, so there is plenty of inspiration. I just knew that I wanted mine to be an actual working clock. So that helped dictate the design from the start.

By the way, I'm entering this into the Simon Says Stamp & Show's "Anything Goes" challenge. I have been having fun checking out all the amazing creations artists are posting there. Join along! Anything goes.

So here's how the clock comes, in case you've never seen one...

It's a pretty good size, too. Measures about 7 inches tall.



Here is my finished clock. It makes me happy when I look at it sitting here on my desk. And the clock really works! 


I'll share how I made mine...



First, I took apart the pieces to get to the glass which had to come out so I didn't get paint on it. If you're careful enough, you don't have to do this step. I'm just not that neat. There are a couple small screws holding things together inside, so you need a tiny wrench.



I rummaged through hubby's toolbox and found a set of tiny wrenches. This 7/32 size worked perfectly. If you just get the screw started with the wrench, then it's easy to finish unscrewing with your fingers.



In all the videos I watched, they ALL gessoed their clocks first. They all kept saying how you can't just paint on metal, you have to prime first. But I got to thinking about the Patinas (Ranger/Vintaj) that we used at Ranger University and wondered why they wouldn't work? So I tested it out on a spare tin bucket and it worked great. So I used three colors puddled on my non-stick craft sheet.



I added a large puddle of Patina Extender to the mat too. This helped spread the paint smoothly and extending the drying time a bit so I could mix and work the colors around.



I would recommend starting with the back. This is the lid that pops off the back. Rather than spread the paint in strokes, I splotched it on with a foam brush. I wanted to make sure I could see the three different colors.



I eventually painted the inner portion of the clock body as well. Just didn't get a photo of it.



I also painted the legs and a few embellishments. (The lightbulb didn't make the final cut.) For these smaller pieces, I used the Vintaj buffer to distress them and reveal some of the metal underneath.



I tore small pieces of the Melange Tissue Tape then adhered and sealed them with Studio Multi-Medium. You could also use Mod-Podge or Glue & Seal.



Next, to age it I painted everything with Antiqued Bronze Distress Paint. Once this was all dry I sprayed a clear sealer. (Krylon Satin Finish) Then I popped the glass back into place and screwed the screws and brackets back in.



Now for the clock portion. I found this kit in my local Hobby Lobby for $6.99. The hands are gold, so I painted them with black gesso. Two coats.



For my clock face I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. As I was thinking, I noticed an extra Picture Wheel die cut laying on my shelf. I grabbed it and counted out the spaces and VOILA! Same as a clock. I was so excited! (It doesn't take much) I cut a new picture wheel from a piece of French Industrial paper, and another from black cardstock for added stability. I traced a large circle of teal Kraft Core cardstock and laid it behind to show through the open spaces. For the four numbers, I used Idea-ology Alpha Parts and then filmstrip ribbon for the other spaces attached with the Tiny Attacher stapler. I punched a larger hole through the center for my clock kit to go through.



From black mat board I cut a circle a little larger than the picture wheel. About 4 3/8". This measure worked well so I could wedge and glue the circle in place inside my clock. In this photo, you see the white side of the black mat board. I cut a square hole through the middle to insert my clock kit and picture wheel unit. I used a strong glue to bond these together.



I wedged the clock/picture wheel unit into the clock and added E6000 along the edges to hold. While the glue dried, I painted some grungeboard numbers and gears in the same manner as the clock's parts above.



The numbers were adhered to the sides of the clock using E6000 glue and some firm pressure.



The gears and other Idea-ology pieces were adhered to the front lip of the clock.



Since my Idea-ology pieces were already bronze, I added these without any additional paint.



I love how the image of the three bakers are front and center in my clock. 



This project was SO much fun. I can think of several other great ideas I'd like to try with this assemblage clock. Now, to find the time to do them...


Thanks for stopping by! 

Comments

  1. Annette...Oh my word! You actually made a working clock out of this! That is fantastic! I love the Vintaj glazes that you've used on the exterior. The tissue tape looks fabulous wrapped on the clock. Really gives it even more of that vintage feeling. Love the patina look, too! Adding the Ideaology pieces really finishes it off beautifully! Great job! Thanks for sharing your clock with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really gorgeous, Annette!!
    The rusty, grungy finish is stunning.
    And it's works, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep persuading myself I can live without this clock...but You made me hesitate again. I love you´ve touched every little part of it...so many details to look at! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing clock, you have made such a wonderful piece of art x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great clock. Love the colors.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watch It's gorgeous, I love how you've changed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - stunning work Annette! Love that you created a working clock!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, this is fabulous! And it works! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome. I have to ask what's the difference between this Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge and Simon Says Stamp Challenge? I'm new to all these challenges. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GORGEOUS!!!! I finished one of these a few weeks ago too, and made mine working as well...just made sense to me as well! I love that you used Vintaj and then the tape...very cool look! The gears, metal, and numbers look awesome all around it! Love this!!!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us here at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fabulous, Annette! Love the tissue tape and the wonderful #s on the outside... so whimsical and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Amazing project.

    Thanks for sharing how you created it.

    I'll be pinning it for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FAb work! Congrats for your win on SSSS ! your project is very very beutiful! LOve it! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your well deserved win at SSSaS Annette. This has inspired me to get my clock out and do something with it now! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your clock is gorgeous and thanks for your tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful details Annette. Love the patina that you got on the metal. And I absolutely adore the clock face -- I can understand how excited you were when you found out the Picture Wheel had the same spacing as a clock face :) Love how you added the filmstrip ribbon. Fabulous make -- congrats on your spotlight at Simon Says Stamp and Show! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous work. Love the colors and design.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Annette, great work on the clock ! Loads of gorgeous detail and it works brilliant to put the clock movement in with the picture wheel face. Love it ! Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  19. You rocked this!! I love that you made it into a real clock! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com